Ontario Live Music Working Group: How we are involved and the benefits of working together.
What is the Ontario Live Music Working Group (OLMWG)?
The purpose of the OLMWG is to support the ongoing development and implementation of a province-wide Live Music Strategy.
How is Music Canada Live involved?
Music Canada Live Executive Director, Erin Benjamin has been appointed as co-chair, working along-side Assistant Deputy Minister of the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport Kevin Finnerty. Several Music Canada Live board members also serve on the working group (and helped to shape the initial conversations about live music in the Province that led to the establishment of the group) along with representatives of other music organizations and numerous players in the Ontario live music industry.
What kind of potential outcome can this have for our members? The live music community at large?
A live music strategy for the Province of Ontario will strengthen the province’s position as a global leader for live music. It helps to create a template for other provinces and regions to use to achieve the same goals.
Working together with music industry partners and the Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC), the Ontario Arts Council (OAC) and the Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership (OTMP), the government’s live music strategy will:
- Promote Ontario’s live music sector to boost concert attendance, visitor spending and economic impact
- Develop a co-ordinated live music marketing and promotions plan
- Leverage existing resources
- Create opportunities to promote music through measures such as new online resources
- Position Ontario as a premier global destination for live music and music tourism through the province’s international marketing initiatives.
Strengthening Ontario’s live music scene is part of the government’s plan to boost the economy and create jobs and will help stimulate meaningful dialogue with other parts of Canada who value and wish to leverage the potential of their own live music industries.